Careers.

Yep... just like it says. Go ahead and brag to everyone about how you make the world a better place. :-)

I think making the world better is cool.

Careers.

Postby WB1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 am

I want a job that I really enjoy.
A job that I can either work as hard or as little as I like.
A job that involves design and construction.
A job where I make the decisions.
A job thats creative.
A job that allows me to travel, either directly job related or through the income I earn.
A job thats not in the city.
A job that involves problem solving and creating solutions.
A job that doesn't feel like a job.

I want to make things that I am proud of.
I want to make the world a better place.
I want the simple life.
I want to meet people that have similar aspirations.
I want to exercise daily.
I want to grow and eat healthy food.

I don't want debt.
I don't want to feel like a slave from Monday - Friday and then at the weekend feel guilty for not doing overtime.
I don't want to have to wake up early everyday to get to work on time.
I don't want to have to deal with other peoples problems at work.
I don't want to pretend to enjoy my work.

I am 21 years old. Currently training as an electrical apprentice in my third year. I am pleased about the knowledge I have gained but don't want to pursue a career in the industry. I have thought about going to university, studying some form of engineering, but it seems the only type of job I could get would be an Engineer Project Manger. And personally I couldn't think of anything worse.

I am interested to know if any of you have had the same thoughts when you were my age or those that are currently in the same position and how you dealt with it. I feel like I have to make a decision as to do what I want or conform with society and hate my job and become a 9 to 5'er.

Cheers.
WB1

Re: Careers.

Postby corrado33 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 am

WB1 wrote:A job where I make the decisions.

I don't want to have to deal with other peoples problems at work.

You contradict yourself quite a bit in that post. Just a hint... in this job market, your list should be "I want a job". :D
corrado33

Postby WB1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:47 am

Luckily for me Australia has largely missed the global financial mess. So no, I don't think I will be getting on my hands and knees quite yet. ;)
WB1

Postby sjvsworldtour » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 am

I am an engineer, although I do software development now. Yes, I work in the city, but I get a lot of satisfaction out of my work, I am compensated incredibly well, and I work from home and pretty much set my own hours. This isn't exactly what you want, but heading this direction isn't so bad.

I am at the point where I could retire now and get away to the lifestyle you describe. It is something that is always on my mind. I would like a simpler life, in some ways similar to Jaimie. He does basically what you describe so he can likely advise you much better than I. But from watching his videos, it is pretty clear how he got in his current position. He worked his butt off.

The best advice I can give is to learn all you can and plan how you will get to where you want to be. Also, invest your money. If I would have started at your age, I would be extremely well off now and able to do whatever I choose. But the bottom line is realizing that while you likely can't get what you want immediately, you can get there if you have a plan and are willing to work.
sjvsworldtour

Postby WB1 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:14 am

Hi thanks for the response. I am very keen on investing my money and hope to purchase a positively geared investment property soon. I am keen to work hard on something that I am passionate about just need to work out what that passion is. I guess I need to think that the next 10 years will just be a stepping stone for what I really want. Thanks for the advice.
WB1

Postby sjvsworldtour » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:56 pm

You are welcome. I hope it helps. I am no expert, but if I had it to do over again, saving would be much higher on my priority list.
sjvsworldtour

Return to How you make the world better