Store solar energy indefinitely

SO, ya... be nice. We don't all have to agree about what the world should be like. I personally think the world should be an awesome place. :-)
....and no offense to anyone, but please keep the bible thumping out of it. I'm just not up to explaining how incredibly stastitically improbably it is that the earth is 6000-ish years old.

Store solar energy indefinitely

Postby stashvault » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Researchers at MIT have found a new way to store solar energy using carbon nanotubes. It stores the sun's energy in chemical form instead of converting it to electricity or heat, it can store the energy almost indefinitely, and can release the energy after a catalyst is added to the equation. It's much denser than previous ways to store solar energy as well.

Of course this is no where near being available to consumers, but breakthroughs like this are refreshing!

Here's the original article:
http://web.mit.edu/press/2011/update-en ... orage.html
stashvault

Re: Store solar energy indefinitely

Postby corrado33 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm

I like it, but the only thing that worries me is "releases the energy in a quick burst of heat." Sure, it can store it, but if it can't release it in a controlled, useable manner, it's useless. It's like using a capacitor as a means of storing energy for later use. Sure it can be done, but how are you going to harness it?
corrado33

Postby stashvault » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:29 pm

corrado33 wrote:I like it, but the only thing that worries me is "releases the energy in a quick burst of heat." Sure, it can store it, but if it can't release it in a controlled, useable manner, it's useless. It's like using a capacitor as a means of storing energy for later use. Sure it can be done, but how are you going to harness it?

I agree it's not very practical for a lot of uses. But it is a step forward, and heat storage up until now has been very elementary in a lot of aspects. It's nice to see a game changer on the horizon. Storing energy is important moving forward.

On another note, the guys at MIT are also printing solar cells on almost any kind of paper or fabric:
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/mit- ... -20110713/
stashvault

Postby sjvsworldtour » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 am

Being able to gradually release the energy from individual cells wouldn't seem like that difficult of a concept to come up with.
sjvsworldtour

Postby corrado33 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:37 am

sjvsworldtour wrote:Being able to gradually release the energy from individual cells wouldn't seem like that difficult of a concept to come up with.

I dunno, it seems like it's a chemical reaction with a VERY low activation energy. Once those things get going... they're hard to stop. I mean sure there are ways to do it, but it'd end up costing more.
corrado33

Return to Talk about the world