MOBILE HEADQUARTERS PROJECT (bus conversion)

Show off your projects, ask about others, talk about mine, whatever. Ask for help, or just say, Wooo, thats cool.

Re: MOBILE HEADQUARTERS PROJECT (bus conversion)

Postby corrado33 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:53 pm

sjvsworldtour wrote:It would be simpler just to stow the windmill when moving. Keep it simple.

But it'd be SO much cooler my way. 8-) Actually, that's the way big windmills work right? They have adjustable pitch blades. When there isn't a lot of wind the blades turn to catch more of it, but when there is a lot of wind the blades turn to catch less so they don't spin too fast?

Anyway, it'd be a cool experiment to make the windmill stay in it's optimal operational range.
corrado33

Postby sjvsworldtour » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Yea, but you would still induce drag. If I wasn't going to stow it, I would be more tempted to adjust the pitch or gearing so that it could be functional while moving.
sjvsworldtour

Postby corrado33 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Ah, didn't think of that. True true. Plus I'm sure busses are already at the high limits for most places. Adding a windmill on top wouldn't be a great idea while moving. haha
corrado33

Postby corrado33 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Ah, didn't think of that. True true. Plus I'm sure busses are already at the high limits for most places. Adding a windmill on top wouldn't be a great idea while moving. haha
corrado33

Postby sjvsworldtour » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 am

Oh, I hadn't considered the clearance thing. That would be huge too. I actually worked in a gas station several decades back and we had a motor home run into the awning over the pumps. Not a good thing.
sjvsworldtour

Postby folypers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 pm

It's been a while since I posted here. I've been kinda busy but I did a lot of thinking and I don't know if it all will be possible but if it is: yay!

I would want to create a 'heat battery', essentially a big supply of heated water in an extremely insulated tank. This tank would be warmed electrically, with excess heat from the engine and the genny (cogeneration yeah!) and with a heat transfer fluid ran through highly absorbing tubes on the roof. The water from the tank could also be cooled electrically or with the heat transfer fluid ran through tubes near the ground or near the belly of the bus. Maybe expose them a little bit, not sure. The heat battery would provide hot water for the laundry, the dishwasher, the sink and the shower. Cold water could be also be used for the fridge. Modern neccesities need a lot of hot water, and it's way better to directly 'store' thermal energy instead of electric energy or chemical energy (gas). But I do need a backup system and since I don't want gas tanks under my bed or toilet, all my lifesystems will be electric :geek: Hehe, really, as I'm running through the 'preliminary design phase', this project has reminded me more than once of a spaceship, with large autonomy, living off the land, water recyling and now antifreeze loops!

Also, I'm going to place the genny close to the engine and encase that whole section in a flame-retardant (am i saying this right?) and sound insulating box. An engine fire is on the bottom of the list of experiences I want to have with my mobile house ;)
- don't tell me the sky is the limit, when there's footprints on the moon
folypers

Postby corrado33 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:19 pm

Water is heavy.

That is all.

:)

Yes, it would make sense to put the things that could catch on fire together so you can flame-retard them all at once.
corrado33

Postby folypers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Yeah I know, but 80 gallons shouldn't weigh to much? I'm not talking tons of it.
folypers

Postby Scodiddly » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 pm

folypers wrote:Yeah I know, but 80 gallons shouldn't weigh to much? I'm not talking tons of it.

As much as 3-5 extra passengers. Probably not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Plus you could dump some of the water before driving, and refill once you're settled.
Scodiddly

Postby folypers » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:03 pm

A site which explains the hydronic system a little bit more: http://rixens.com/system.htm
folypers

PreviousNext

Return to Talk about projects.