So I built a dome

Show off your projects, ask about others, talk about mine, whatever. Ask for help, or just say, Wooo, thats cool.

So I built a dome

Postby corrado33 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:19 am

Well, a mini one at least (I call it my mini mock up)

I work at an industrial paint plant, so we have 6x12in. sheets of thin aluminum sheet. I cut a bunch up into little strips of the correct length, punched holes in the ends (which was a pain, can't imagine what it'd be like for the real thing), then put it together when I got home.

As I was building it, I honestly thought I had dome something wrong. It just WASN'T working. But eventually I got it to work. As you can see, I clearly didn't cut out enough pieces, so it's unfinished as of now. I just thought it looked.... FREAKING AWESOME.

On a side note, I tried to build a dome in Solidworks.... yeah the pieces don't fit together perfectly, so solidworks doesn't like it.

Ok, here are the pics. It looks the same from all angles so... not too many pics. :lol:
EDIT: Why on earth does it look like it's not circular in the pictures? Pictures don't do it justice.

corrado33

Re: So I built a dome

Postby Willzilla » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:54 am

My sphere was a bit odd shaped but then came together really nicely. I think because I used bamboo skewers and hotglue not all of the joints ended up being the same size, and I cut all the sticks to the fill sizes so they would have ended up making the whole thing slightly bigger. My one took a long time! But it was really helpful to make it because it isnt hard at all. Now i want to make onto make a climbing frame for my younger brother or a tent I can use!

Willzilla

Postby corrado33 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:14 am

What frequency is your sphere? 2V?

See, I wanted to use a semi rigid substrate with the correct angles to see if it would fit together. With bamboo and hot glue, you can stick the angle at whatever you want. That wouldn't have been useful to me.

But your sphere is cool, you should cover the triangles in different colored tissue paper to act as a cool lamp shade.
corrado33

Postby Willzilla » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks i was thinking about that. I have this new light in my room so I couldnt do it like it is in the photos. I could make a lamp though and I would probably make a new one for that. The hot glue is a bit annoying and lots of joins have broken. I really want a good way to make one to make a lamp out of it. Maybe I should find someone with a 3d printer and then design hubs that skewers fit into and then it would be really easy and pretty cool. You could just buy a hub set and go buy a pack of skewers and put it together maybe with the help of some glue. The hubs should be a snug fit though.

I don't know about sphere frequencies but I just followed jaimie's videos on how to make them and made it. I'm pretty sure its the same as yours. Also we seem to be the only ones that post on this forum XD
Willzilla

Postby sjvsworldtour » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:39 am

These look pretty darn cool. You got me itching to build one.
sjvsworldtour

Return to Talk about projects.