Cutting oil?

Post things in here about things you've used, and have good, bad or whatever experience with.
In the title, include, The item, and a general rating
For example...
Title: Fiskars Axe. Greatest axe in the universe!
Description: Cost me 40$, and its amazing!...BLAH BLAH BLAH..a replacement right away."
Then people can discuss below...

Cutting oil?

Postby corrado33 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:59 pm

Hey guys, I was tapping some steel earlier, and I broke my tap. I forgot to use cutting oil :oops:

And now I can't seem to find some ANYWHERE!

Can I find it at lowes? Home depot? Local hardware store?

Jaimie, what do you use? You should be a professional tapper by now.
corrado33

Re: Cutting oil?

Postby sjvsworldtour » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 am

I don't know where to get tapping oil, but I do remember Jaimie talking about making sure you back up a quarter turn or so as you tap. It was in one of the GRP videos from Florida, I believe. You may have already knew that. I do think the oil will make life a lot easier for you.
sjvsworldtour

Postby corrado33 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:38 am

sjvsworldtour wrote:I don't know where to get tapping oil, but I do remember Jaimie talking about making sure you back up a quarter turn or so as you tap. It was in one of the GRP videos from Florida, I believe. You may have already knew that. I do think the oil will make life a lot easier for you.

I remember, and I was doing that. It actually broke when I was trying to turn it back a quarter turn.
corrado33

Postby Team Orr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:48 am

its been a while since i have worked on any big bots, but i seem to remember that WD-40 was a good all purpose oil although it does cost a fair amount (not masses but it stings a bit) I also seem to remember My friend telling me that one of the best taping agents was "Tap Free" a solvent based product he picked up a while back. hope that helps
Duct tape is the like the force, it has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe together
Team Orr

Postby sjvsworldtour » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:15 am

corrado33 wrote:
sjvsworldtour wrote:I don't know where to get tapping oil, but I do remember Jaimie talking about making sure you back up a quarter turn or so as you tap. It was in one of the GRP videos from Florida, I believe. You may have already knew that. I do think the oil will make life a lot easier for you.

I remember, and I was doing that. It actually broke when I was trying to turn it back a quarter turn.

It is really cool that both of us learned something from Jaimie's videos. Kudos Jaimie.
sjvsworldtour

Postby austin.mn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:55 am

Tap Magic is a great taping oil...

But, when I found that I had ran out of that, and it was 2 in the morning... I just used some 5w-30 I had on the shelf. It worked just fine.
austin.mn

Postby corrado33 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:00 am

Great, thanks guys.

I also did read that old style car oil was good. Single weight oil like 10w or something without many detergents and stuff in it.

I'll try some WD-40 (always have some in the garage), and see how it goes. I'll also look for Tap Magic at my local hardware store. (When I go to buy two more taps).

The funny thing is, I wasn't even turning it hard. It's like the dang thing was made out of plastic.
corrado33

Postby Scodiddly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:28 am

I used WD-40, mainly because it's already sitting right there. Works pretty good, also does a decent job when drilling metals. Evaporates kind of fast, but on the other hand it cleans up easily.
Scodiddly

Postby corrado33 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:14 am

Went to the local hardware store today to buy another tap, and I bought some all purpose oils too. 3 in 1 all purpose, 3 in 1 20W and marvels mystery oil. I used the 20W and it's working pretty well.
corrado33

Return to Tool/equipment/material/parts recommendations